Tuesday 21 October 2014

Book Review: The Silkworm (Cormoran Strike)

Last week I finished reading The Silkworm, the second book in the Cormoran Strike series by Robert Galbraith. For those who don't know, Robert Galbraith is the pseudonym J.K Rowling decided to use for these books to see if they would sell without her name attached (which obviously didn't work as some idiot rumbled her and revealed the secret!). 



This book is the second in the series about a private detective called Cormoran Strike. In the first book, (The Cuckoo's Calling) we were introduced to Cormoran and his new assistant Robin, as they investigate the suspicious suicide of a famous supermodel, Lula Landry. I would definitely suggest reading this book first, as not only is it a good read that keeps you guessing, but it gives you much more of a background to the characters, which is useful for reading the second book. 



In The Silkworm, Cormoran and Robin are on the hunt for a missing author who they soon found out has been murdered (don't worry, that's not a spoiler it's in the blurb), so naturally, they then try to track down the killer. Problem is, the guy wrote a book which pissed a lot of people off, so there's a lot of suspects! 

I really enjoyed this book, I think maybe I liked The Cuckoo's Calling a bit more, but The Silkworm is definitely worth a read too. I finished this book pretty quickly because I really wanted to find out whodunit so kept picking it up whenever I had a free moment (yes I may have had a sneaky read at work once or twice, shhh!)

Rowling/Galbraith's writing is excellent, as you would expect, and these books will make you want to become a private detective after you've read them so be warned! I've read that Galbraith has at least six more Cormoran Strike books planned, so I would definitely suggest getting in on this, who knows, they could end up being as big as Harry Potter! I would imagine there will be lots of underlying storylines that will come to fruition later on in the series as Rowling certainly doesn't keep things simple! 

My rating for this book is 7/10, it's definitely worth a read! 

Thanks for reading :) xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, they make my day! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and i'll be sure to check it out as soon as I can :)