Thursday 23 October 2014

Film Review: The Judge

Last night I went along to our local Odeon to see Robert Downey Jrs new film The Judge. 


I will start off by saying that I'm a huuuuge RDJ fan (come on, he is Iron Man, how could you not love him?!), so yes, that was the main reason I chose this film as we also wanted to see Gone Girl, which I've heard is good, but I always feel guilty watching a film adaptation of a book before reading the actual book. Leighton Meester is also in this film, although she doesn't play a huge part in the script, we only really see her twice, so Gossip Girl fans shouldn't get too excited! 

Without giving too much of the plot away, RDJ plays a lawyer, who gets a phonecall to say his mother has died. He then goes back to his hometown for the funeral, where we're introduced to his family and an old flame/childhood sweetheart. He makes a few startling discoveries about his father (the judge) who he doesn't really get on with, and he's told a few home truths. I'm not going to say any more than that because it's no fun if you know what's going to happen! 



So anyway, I really enjoyed this film! When it first started I must admit I thought it was going to be a low budget flop, but as the story progressed it got deeper and the plot actually got really good, it wasn't just some basic, predictable storyline (or at least I didn't think it was!). It's probably not really the sort of film I'll rush out to buy when it comes out on DVD, but I'm glad that I've seen it and I would probably watch it again if it was on the telly. 

I feel like I should also mention that this film is produced by Susan Downey, who is RDJ's wife. I didn't realise until earlier this week when I read an article about the couple that she actually produces most of his non-marvel films, such as Due Date (hilarious), and the amazing Sherlock Holmes films. So naturally I'm her new biggest fan. 



My rating for this film is 8/10, it's definitely worth a watch but it's unlikely it'll end up being your favourite film ever! 

Thanks for reading! Xxx

No comments:

Post a Comment

I love to read your comments, they make my day! Feel free to leave a link to your blog and i'll be sure to check it out as soon as I can :)